Landing a job in today's academic job market is no easy feat. Is graduate school the answer? This informed and candid book provides anyone thinking about pursuing an advanced degree—and those who support them—with the inside scoop on what to expect in graduate school.
Amanda I. Seligman helps potential students navigate graduate study—not just how to get in but how to succeed once you are there and what to expect when you leave. She weighs the pros and cons of attending graduate school against achieving a sustainable work-life balance and explains the application process, the culture of graduate school, and employment prospects for academics.
This book guides readers through the ins and outs of graduate school, and no topic is off limits, including
• qualifications and admission guidelines
• financial aid and graduate stipends
• meeting expectations and residency requirements
• coursework, theses, and dissertations
• degrees, jobs, and academic careers
• tenure, research, and peer review
• social life (will you still have one?)
Written in a question-and-answer format, Is Graduate School Really for You? eliminates the guesswork. Whether you are considering applying to graduate school, already enrolled, or would simply like to know more about continuing your education, this is the book for you.
Sign up for more information on JHUP Books